Saturday, November 15, 2014

Milanese Osso Buco Pasta




First of all, always decide what you are going to pair your food with.

A good dry, red wine is always a favorite with any dish with red sauce.  Good fact!

However, with veal most people choose the white.   I will over-step the boundary here... if you want a lighter touch go white, more robust and bring out the veal/lamb go red... I have chosen the Yellow Tail Merlot as a perfect match!

This dish (Osso Buco) is from the Lombardy region of Italy.  The first time I cooked this was about 31 years ago. It was not until about 2 weeks ago when I had the opportunity to purchase some rather beautiful lamp chops. They were thick cut, which I am not proficient with.  However, after our meal I decided that I was going to make Osso Buco.  It is traditionally done with veal shanks.  Do you know how hard it is to get them?  Impossible unless I was willing to drive down to the Italian Market in Philly or special order them.  Not a chance!  The end result was I cooked the left over lamp chops in the prepared Osso Buco sauce.  It was out out of this world!  My husband told me to save the remainder of the sauce and remaining chops to use over pasta.  Voila! An adapted version of Osso Buco topped over some fine Mezze Penne!

I have recreated it today with veal chops that I was able to get locally.  So here we are at my beginning...



MILANESE OSSO BUCO PASTA

6 1-1/4" thick veal shanks, if available (you can substitute chops of either veal or lamb)
Sea Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup of all-purpose flour for dredging
1/4 cup of olive oil
3 cups of finely chopped onion (about 2 medium), I prefer red onion for their sweetness
1 cup of finely diced celery (about 2 stalks), slice lengthwise, then finely dice
3/4 cup finely diced carrots (about 2)
1 Tbsp. dried oregano
3/4 cup of dry white wine if you will...(other recipes advise white, but the red brings out the fullness of flavor in the meat)
2 Tbsp. tomato paste (I prefer the paste with Italian herbs)
1 28 oz. can Italian plum tomatoes (I squeeze them by hand until they are completely broken up)
3/4 cup of chicken broth
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 large sprig of thyme (2 Tbsp dried)
2 bay leaves

I eliminate the gremolata, and is considered optional, only because with the combination of the veal, sauce and pasta, it can be a lot of flavors that can deter from the veal.

If you have the veal shanks, tie them around the middle with kitchen string and season with the sea salt and fresh ground pepper.  With the flour in a dish, lightly dredge the meat in flour and shaking off any excess.

In a large skillet, heat 3 Tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat.  Allow the oil to heat adequately.  Only do 3 pieces at a shot cooking them for 2-3 minutes per side.  When they are browned on both sides.  Set aside.

In a slow cooker, add the tomatoes, remaining oil, paste, seasonings, vegetables, herbs and liquids.  Add the meat and simmer over low heat for 4-6 hours.

Cook Mezze Penne al dente.  Remove bones from the meat (it should already fall off the bone) and replace into the sauce.  Serve over cooked Mezze Penne.



Mangiere!

Footnote:  Take all meat and extra sauce and freeze for a quick meal during your busy week!  You will thank yourself!


2 comments:

  1. Off to a good start!! Enjoyed reading!! Doug vT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doug! I hope that people will appreciate good food with a "Lotta Love". It was awesome and Jay has some good input. He is so on board with this... LOL! Try it! Give me some feedback!

      Delete